Vets On The Move engages and connects Veterans to viable and equitable multi-modal transportation in our community.
Information: Vets On The Move
Chapel Hill, and the surrounding area, offer many opportunities for Veterans to get around without a car. The Vets On The Move program is designed to assist Veterans in finding the best choices for them to get from one point to another using alternative transportation including bicycle, walking, carpooling and bus.
Once Chapel Hill restrictions have lifted regarding COVID, there will be a Buddy Ride-A-Long program to assist Veterans (up to three times) to access their destinations using bicycle, walking, wheeling or bus. This is a no-charge program.
Cycling in Chapel Hill and surrounding areas can be enjoyable and efficient when equipped with a solid bicycle, helmet and other tools. Local merchants offer free inspections on bicycles as well as offering free demonstrations for in-store bicycles. Contact if needing bicycle lights, handle-bar tote bags and some other helpful cycling items.
Chapel Hill and surrounding areas are part of a program called Share the Ride NC which anonymously can match people with similar routes ,to others registered for carpooling to common destinations. Personal information is hidden during the matching process.
The area has a connected system of buses that can move people from nearby cities including Greensboro, Burlington, Mebane, Hillsborough, Durham, Chapel Hill, Raleigh and many places in-between.
- Park-and-Ride: There are Park & Ride areas scattered throughout where cars can be parked at no charge in many places, or in Chapel Hill, for a minimal fee. Buses from the Park & Ride lots can easily connect you to your final destination. Park-and-Ride lots located in Chapel Hill and Carrboro require a parking permit.
- Bike Racks on Buses: All area buses have bicycle racks located on the front of each bus. Combining the use of a bicycle with a bus can get you farther faster! Learn how to use the bus bike rack at gotriangle.org/bikeonbus.
- Paratransit: EZ Rider is a demand-response, shared-ride service providing origin-to-destination (generally means door to door) service on an advance reservation basis. Eligibility assistance is available at (919) 969-4920.
- Bus Routes and Connections: Four ways to determine best routes for your trip,
- Use the Plan Your Trip feature by putting in where the trip begins and ends to view best way to get there. Open Go Triangle and search for Trip Planner.
- Check the website of the bus system for routes.
- Chapel Hill Transit Routes – Chapel Hill Transit is a no-charge transit system to get anywhere the bus goes in Chapel Hill and Carrboro!
Vets On the Move Launch – June 25
The year-round Vets On The Move program launched on Friday, June 25th on a relaxed summer afternoon. A good crowd, socially distancing, enjoyed exploring the various tables of commute choice information with agency representatives, to help them plan their routes to work or errands via bus, bicycle, walk or roll. Chapel Hill’s Mayor Pro Tem Michael Parker made comments as well as Veterans that were part of the team that developed the Vets On The Move program and also Veterans from American Legion Post Six and Disabled American Veterans.
One Veteran was heard to say, I had no idea that there were others in the community that wanted to connect with us. Two particular groups, The American Legion Post Six and the Disabled American Veterans, were there reaching out and bringing information to the community of which many had never worked with Veterans in the community and might not even know what they do and how they serve… still.
The launch was a relaxed event, moving with ease from afternoon to evening with a slight breeze, a lot of heat and lot’s joy for those in attendance. One older Veteran that wandered in seeing the event from Franklin Street, was so excited that so many would care enough about him and honor him through the year-round Vets On The Move program. It was an excellent day with more events already being planned in the future!
Vets On The Move Bicycle Salute Ride
Vets On The Move Veteran’s Day Event